WALKS …… POTLUCKS ….. TALKS
MEMBERS AND FRIENDS WELCOME TO ALL
Our next hike will be in February 2018. We’re keeping the fall 2017 schedule up here to give you an idea of where we go and what we do!
SCHEDULE SEPT TO NOV 2017
August 1 – October 15: Bird-banding Station
All members of the public are invited to watch Doug Brown et al band birds migrating south through the valley. Especially requested are Club volunteer helpers for data recording, removing birds from mist nets, etc. No special expertise is needed, but your help is. Bring bug spray, binoculars, lunch, water. The station is located through the white gate one km north of the Vaseux parking lot and operates from 6 am to 11 am. daily.
Contact Doug, if you wish to help, at 778-437-2006, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Sept 9, Sat – Long Joe road to Microwave Tower
A moderate hike with good views. Meet Lakeview Plaza, Osoyoos at 9:30 am. Contact Phil Harfman 250-495-8071.
Sept 13, Wed – Vaseux Brush Clearing
Our annual brush clearing of the Vaseux Lake boardwalk. The viewing blind has been rebuilt, with the boardwalk needing just a little work. Bring loppers, gloves, etc. as well as lunch and binoculars for afterwards. Meet at Vaseux Lake parking lot at 10 am. Contact Skip King 250-485-0263.
Sept 17, Sun – Mt Kobau
Hiking on the summit trails, with a look at fire recovery from 2015. Meet at Lakeview Plaza, Osoyoos, 9:30 am. Contact Dwayne Flexhaug 250-495-7645.
Sept 24, Sun – Mt Riordan
A nice walk up the mountain near Apex. Often very good mushrooms. We will possibly drop down to Nickle Plate Lake afterward, where no mushroom picking is allowed. Meet at Oliver Visitor Centre (old CPR) at 9:30 am. Contact Skip King 250-485-0263.
Oct 1, Sun – Lower Keagan Loop
Meet at the Oliver Visitor Centre at 9.30 a.m. Contact Margaretha 250-493-6660.
Oct. 14, Sat – Birding by Car
Oliver to Okanagan Falls. Driving to good local birding sites. Meet at Oliver Visitor Centre at 9:00 am. 9:00 am. Contact: Donna Heard 778-439-2066.
Oct. 22, Sun – Potluck Dinner
Oliver United Church, 511 Church Ave at 5:30 pm. Membership fee increase to be discussed. Bring a food contribution, plate, cutlery etc. Membership renewals are due (at the old rate!).
Oct 28, Sat – American Butte
West of Kilpoola Lake, moderate hike with Doug Brown. Meet at Lakeview Plaza, Osoyoos at 9:00 am. Contact Doug 778-437-2006
- Please be on time, as we like to start promptly.
- Bring lunch and water, and wear suitable footwear and clothing for the weather.
- Please leave dogs at home as they disturb wildlife.
- We would like to increase our membership, so bring a friend.
- Non-members and visitors are invited to join us on our outings. NB: Our insurance only covers three outings for non-members.
- Current annual membership dues are still only: Single: $25, Family: $30.
- Membership includes a subscription to “BC Nature”, mailed to members four times annually.
- Please pay your dues at the next meeting or outing you attend.
- If you would like to lead a hike or have suggestions for hikes or meeting-speakers, contact any of the leaders listed in this schedule.